I’m excited about starting a new 5-part teaching series this Sunday called “Surprise: Shocking Statements Jesus Made.” Although many people think of Jesus as this tranquil, sentimental, soft-palmed, weak, religious guru who just went around spreading love. Actually, Jesus was polarizing. He said things that made some people hate Him and want to kill Him – and others to love Him and want to worship Him.
We surveyed about 100 people by asking them to name the most shocking (or confusing/surprising) thing Jesus said. Here are the top 10:
- If anyone comes to me, and does not hate his own father and mother…….he cannot be my disciple (Luke 14:1-27)
- I come not to bring peace, but division (Matthew 10:34-39)
- Why have you forsaken me (Mark 14:32-42)
- But concerning that day…no one knows, not even the Son (Mark 13:32-37)
- I saw Satan fall like lightning (Luke 10:17-20)
- The last will be first and the first last (Matthew 20:1-16)
- Not dead, sleeping (Mark 5:22-42)
- Turn the other cheek (Matthew 5:38-42)
- Judge not, that you be not judged (Matthew 7:1-6)
- This is my body….This is my blood (Mark 14:22-24)
Let me know if you would name some different ones. Be blessed this week.